- To apply to join the Gifted and Talented Ako Group at Wairarapa College, you will need to email the following information to [email protected], or drop it into the school office by Thursday 12 December 2019.
- A completed application form
- A description of your child and how they would benefit from the support of this group. (Optional: a letter from your child explaining their desire to be a part of this group.)
- Evidence of your child’s intellectual, creative, sporting, artistic or other ability in the top 5% of the population. Please note that some children may not be performing in the top 5% at present in a classroom environment, but this is not a barrier to joining if you have alternative evidence of giftedness/talent.
Following the receipt of this evidence, you may be contacted to request further information and/or to arrange an interview.
Evidence of Giftedness can be provided in one or more of the following ways:
- IQ test or other psychological assessment
- Recommendation from doctor or other professional (e.g. Occupational Therapist, Speech and Language Therapist etc.)
- Parent/whānau/guardian and/or Teacher recommendation. This will include a letter from school and/or parent/whānau/guardian with specific information about the child’s learning, social behaviour and development indicating ability in the top 5%.
- Portfolio of work – this could look like videos, artwork, anecdotes, work completed by your child or other evidence that supports your application.
Information could include a combination of the following:
- Reached developmental milestones very early (or very late e.g., speaking in complex sentences at three after not using much in the way of single word utterances)
- Complex play patterns/way of interpreting the world
- PAT (done in most schools after age of 6), asTTle, or other educational assessment
- Reading age (demonstrating comprehension at least 2 years ahead of actual age)
- Exceptional creative thinking/work
- Any other relevant information demonstrating an area of outstanding aptitude or competence.
- Membership at a recognized special ability or accelerant programme, such as: One Day School, Small Poppies, Gifted Kids Programme and GATE